Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Car can be jumped off and driven but battery is not

Customer Question
Car can be jumped...

Car can be jumped off and driven but battery is not recharging.....had the battery checked and was told that it was good and just needed charging...is the alternater putting out enough to run the engine and not recharge the battery or should I be looking somewhere else?

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Kia Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Was hoping to yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?

Not that I know of...it's my son's car recently acquired....no problem before this

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
Kia Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin do you have a voltmeter?

no

You will need to have voltage checked whilst engine running at battery to see if alternator is charging.from the sympthoms you describe i suspect alternator has failed

you are saying it's possible for the alternator to put out enough to run the car but not enough to charge the battery?

So if you jump start car it will run for as long as you dont turn it off. Is this what your saying?

Ok then in that case imwould disagree with battery condition test .i suspect your battery has a internal cell short where the plates inside corrode and touch causing intermittant battery fail .this doesmt normally show on a test .i would replace battery before going any further

ok...thanks

Please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Please remember to rate my service