Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2011 sportage and the radio/gps system goes off and…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 sportage...
I have a 2011 sportage and the radio/gps system goes off and on only when it's running.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/21/2016
Kia Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

there is a loose ground to the radio harness

Where would I find the ground wire your talking about Is

when you take the radio out you will see the harness you are going to be looking for the spot ware a wire is bolted on the frame to ground it if you need anything else please let me know be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

Ok I will check that tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks

please do

Hello I'm back.
Well I checked for a loose ground and found non. There are grounds coming from harness on both sides of radio. Is there something else I can try. The radio works fine as long as the engine is not running.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello
I'm still waiting for another idea.
Just wondering if your off today
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Just wondering why you haven't gotten back to me on this issue
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the radio is turning off then either it's losing a power or ground or there is an internal failure.

What will need to be done is use an incandescent test light to test the radio powers and grounds at the time it isn't operating. IF the powers and grounds are present then the problem is in the radio, if one is missing then that particular circuit will need to be investigated further.

Do you have a test light?

I have a test light, but why does it go off and on only when the car is running. When I just sit there with the ignition on it works fine.

The reason the radio is turning on and off will be revealed with the proper electrical testing.

The solid black wire should have ground.

The brown wire in pin 11 and red in pin 12 should both have power with the key on. The first thing that neds to be done is determine if these powers and ground are present when the radio will not work.

Ok but it will be hard to test because it only goes out momentarilythen back on

The only way to diagnose the problem is through testing the powers and grounds while the problem is happening. You can set up a test light so it's already in place when the problem happens, that way you won't have to wait for it to happen and then begin testing.

Ok thanks I will try this tomorrow and get back to you.

Great!

Hello sprinkles
I'm in the car checking the power to the radio. Well it's not the radio. When the car is running the power to the radio goes off and on at the connector and I can here a clicking noise every time it goes off and on just under the radio compartment

Which power feed is being lost?

It's the brown wire
I don't know if this helps, but when I first start the car the voltage is 14.5 and then it drops to 12.5

It's being lost entirely though, correct? 12.5v will still operate the radio. It would be best to use an incandescent test light for this rather than a voltmeter.

entirely and I also seen that the egnition button light flashes green when it happens.
I can also here what sounds like a relay clicking on and off when it happens.

Do you lose power at the 20 amp audio fuse when this happens?

No I do not

The problem happens to be in the fuse box or a break in the wire between the fuse and radio then. The next step would be to check for power on the brown wire in pin 1 of connector F on the fuse box. If you're losing power there but not at the fuse then the problem is in the fuse box, assuming it isn't just a poor connection at the fuse.

IF there is power leaving the fuse box but not at the radio then the wire is broken in between.

But why doesn't it happen when the car isn't running when I just turn on the acc. The only Tim it happens is when the car is running

This circuit isn't affected by the key being turned on or the engine running. This is a constant battery feed. In any event, the engine running or not wouldn't alter possible causes for loss of power on the circuit.

I take that back, that's the other circuit. Stand by.

Are you losing power at the 10 amp ACC fuse when the problem happens?

I loose power there also when it happens.
Are you still there

Can you locate the ACC relay and swap it with another to see if anything changes?

Where would the relay be. And I don't have another. Can I pick one up at the auto parts store.

The relay is in the junction block in the dash. You'll swap it with another in the box rather than replace it.

I have to go now I will try and find the relay and swap it out and get back to you.
Where is the junction box located

It's in the dash, where you've already been dealing with fuses.

I'm back
Can't fined any relay in dash.
Their are some under hood. Would tha acc be thaw same as start.
Help are you off the rest of the weekend. Just need to know if I should put my wifes car back together. Sounds like it could be a relay but can't find one that says acc.

I'm not always able to respond immediately.

It will be labeled ACC and may be in a box under the dash forward of the center console area.

Still can't see it. Do I have to pull center council out.

The center console may need to come out as it's forward of the shifter area.

Ok is there a trick to taking the council out

What are you having trouble with?

How do you take council out.

Pop the shifter boot and shifter bezel up using something such as a trim stick or screwdriver. Unplug the connector for the bezel light.

Remove the ash try screws and ash tray.

Pop the side covers off.

Remove the screws at the front of the console, the sides in the front, and in the bottom of the storage bin. Lift the console out and unplug it's electrical connector.

Ok after completely tearing my car apart looking for that acc relay I could not find. I figured out after all this time it was just a bad connection on the battery negative terminal.

A poor connection at the battery negative terminal would cause a no start condition.

Nope it always started. Took off terminal off and cleaned it and the problem is gone.

The problem is gone temporarily because nothing was done to repair it. When the problem returns it will require diagnosis of the accessory relay circuits to see why the relay is shutting off.

Ok been driving it all day and it never went off. I will keep an eye out for it. But for now I'm satisfied with what I did to stop it from happening. There are no relays under dash or council. The only relay I could find are in the engine compartment

Per the factory service information and wiring diagram the ACC relay is under the dash.

If you're unable to do the testing yourself a shop would most likely charge .5 to 1 hour of labor to do so.

I'm very capable of doing it myself. It's just finding the relays your talking about. I've been doing a little research and found similar problems with the battery cable.