Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 kia sorento 4×4 just replaced motor and now…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 kia...
I have a 2006 kia sorento 4×4 just replaced motor and now the back brakes are locked up and when i put in gear does not move but motor sounds great. What could be wrong or what is a code to reset the computer
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Kia Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I want to help you, but I'm totally confused by what you state on your post. For example, replacing the engine wouldn't have any technical cause for the rear brakes to lock up, so what makes you associate the two events?. What are you specifically referring to when you ask "what is a code to reset the computer"?

Can you share a little bit more detailed history on how the rear brakes became locked? Did you replace the engine yourself?

No this is the second engine that has been put in. Kia put a new engine in that lasted one week after the year warranty. So my kia sat for 2 yrs waiting for me to save up enough for another engine. So we got another engine and had a machanic put it in. Now the engine runs great but when he puts it into gear to drive nothing happens the car doesnt move. The back breaks i beleive is locked from sitting so long. I am being told that the transmission is messed up. Im not sure and than he told me that he beleives i have to send it out to have a code in to be programmed for the transmission. So i was wondering what he was talking about. My husband is dying right now so he cant tend to this problem so i just want to get educated alittle thanks
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hello, maybe I can help you. It is fairly likely that the rear brakes are locked up for sitting for so long. As a Kia technician I have never heard of having to send a computer out to get programmed. What might need to be done is a reset but that can be done with a Kia scan tool at a dealership. Let me ask you this, when you put the vehicle in drive, do you feel it go into drive? And does it feel like the car wants to move forward but the brakes are holding it back? Also, is the check engine light on?

No to both
You feel nothing
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Hmm. Sounds like there is an issue with the transmission but if there is no check engine light on it says to me that it is a mechanical issue. Is there any noise going on?

No
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Alright, if there is no noise going on and there is no check engine light there are a few things to check. The first thing you should do is check the shift linkage, which is on the transmission on the passenger side under the vehicle. Just be sure that it is connected and that it moves when you move the shifter. The second thing to check is the transmission fluid level. It can be checked by running the vehicle until it is warm, then removing the dipstick and seeing where the level is. The dip stick has a red top and is located at the drive rear of the engine bay. If the fluid was very low the engine would just rev and the vehicle would not try to move when it is in drive. Lastly if the vehicle has a manual transfer case for the four wheel drive system, be sure that it is not shifted into neutral, as this would cause the vehicle to not move. It should be in 2 High. If these things check out, you're probably looking at replacing the transmission. But I would first get the vehicle towed to a dealership just to be sure before you spend any more money replacing parts.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.