Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My car died and I can get it started, Yes it broke down

Customer Question
My car died and...

My car died and I can get it started

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes it broke down while I was driving, steamed. But the temp gauge never said it was overheating

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
It happened about 20 minutes after I tightened the crankshaft pulley bolt. Now it cranks and then makes a spinning noise, and it won't start
I tested my spark, I have spark. I tried starting spray, still nothing
2/19/2016
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hi, what model and year vehicle is this? And what did you do to it to need to tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Nissan 1997 pickup xe
It was squeaking really bad and I looked in there and the pulley looked upset so I went in there to tighten it up to straighten it
Offset
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

When you crank it does it sound normal or does it sound like it's kind of free wheeling? And how does the pulley look now?

It will crank normally a few times and then it starts free wheeling or that spinning sound I was talking about
The pulley looks fine it's still a little cockeyed looking
Not bad as it was. I literally just got it out the shop, and they didn't say anything about it, and I had some timing chain guides replaced
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds like timing chain is your issue. They must have forgotten to tighten something, it sounds like the engine is off time or one of the chains is not on one of the sprockets correctly. Don't crank it over anymore and I would get it towed back to the shop that did it.

What should I tell them to not charge me? Its been like 3 weeks since it got out of the shop
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Well the best thing to do may be to bring it to a different shop and have them just get something in writing to prove your case to the shop that did it. If they didn't torque something correctly it could have backed off after a few weeks and caused this

OK so you're pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with me tightening that crankshaft nut?
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

I think the fact that it was loose or looked crooked was a red flag that there was an issue from what they did, tightening it should not matter if it is lined up correctly

OK, well thank you.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

No problem, good luck with everything.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.