Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My 2006 kia sportage has my mechanic stymied. It is running…

Customer Question
my 2006 kia sportage has...
my 2006 kia sportage has my mechanic stymied. It is running very rough and when he checks the ecu the code keeps changing as to what the problem is. He said it idles fine and runs in reverse fine but in forward is horrible. Could the ecu unit be defective?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
go back a little. Have had a problem when car got heated that is would lose power, turn off motor turn back on it would run fine for awhile then repeat, especially going uphill. Took to mechanic thought it might be tps, they checked said it showed was in fuel system maybe fuel pump. Couldn't afford to work on at time and was running well enough to wait. Month or so later it ran worse went to different mechanic and he showed cylinder 3 and 5 running rough. replaced spark plugs and wires, found a broken air mass sensor and replaced. Drove for test drive and was running much worse. He found a code he couldn
t do with his computer, took it to Kia dealer, they kept two weeks and said they couldn't find anything that it must be internal. He took back to shop ran computer again and found a different code, no longer got previous code. Could the ECU be defective or somthing else
2/17/2016
Kia Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician  replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me the actual fault codes your getting?

I wish I could but didn't write them down and I haven't been able to get in touch with him today.

If you can post them here once your able to contact him, I will try and help you determine the cause.