Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2011 Kia Sorento. I've been using blutooth with no…

Customer Question
Hi, My name is*****...

Hi, My name is***** have a 2011 Kia Sorento. I've been using blutooth with no problems until recently. I have trouble pairing. When it does pair it disconnects at random. When I am able to pair and actually make or take a call, there is so much static that I can hardly hear the other person. The other person says I sound like I'm under water. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s6. Please help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My phone used to pair automatically. Over the past month I've had to pair manually each time I get in the car. It stays paired for 5 minutes or so then drops. The connection is extremely unreliable. I've been using it with this phone since August. I had no problems with my previous phone (Galaxy s3) and have not had problems with this phone until about a month ago. It is getting progressively worse.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/15/2016
Kia Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. This does happen occasionally. Can you try going to the menu of the radio and there should be a setting to perform a factory, or master reset on the audio unit. The phone will be unpaired. But you can then pair it again and it should work like normal.

Can you try that and let me know the outcome?

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** that. This will take several minutes...

Ok.

I could not find where to perform a master or factory reset. I did delete the phone from the phone setup menu then paired it again. Problem remains.

Ok. What audio unit do you have? is it a touchscreen navigation? I have performed resets on these before, I just can not remember without seeing it in front of me. I will check the service info.

There also may be a small hole on the front of the audio unit. That a paperclip could fit in. If your model has that, pressing it is a reset button.

And if you do not have a reset button. Disconnect the battery cables and touch them together to drain all the capacitors in the car. Then reconnect the cables and see if your problem persists.

No, it's not a touchscreen. There's no small hole. It's a 2011 model so that may predate the touchscreen. It's been raining all day so I haven't been able to try the battery cable yet. I deleted the phone from the menu and turned Bluetooth off on both the kia and my phone. Turned it back on and paired/reconnected. It worked for 15 min and disconnected in the middle of a call.

If you can I would still like you to try the battery cables. If you could maybe just try a different phone to see if it works. But if you do those two things and the problem is still happening then the audio unit will likely need to be replaced.

Have you made any progress with getting your bluetooth to stay connected? Please let me know and please rate my service. Thanks.