Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Car in garage car payment made lights on dash come on as…

Customer Question
car in garage car payment...
car in garage car payment made lights on dash come on as usual but car wont start on a 2009 kia spectra
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
2/14/2016
Kia Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy  replied 2 years ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

does it do anything click? crank?

no nothing works
now battery, the dash lights do come on windows work etc. radio ok headlights ok, car does have a gps gismo installed but I called the dealer and its not activated
if i have to I will take it out to get the car working but I dont know where it is

usually its under the drivers dash ...does the starter engage?

no the starter doesn't engage
hopefully we can get this fixed this is the only car I have and I must go to work obcviously not tonite

have you tried a jump start or charging the battery?

have tried to jumpstart the battery but still nothing have done all of the usual car stuff that is needed to do
checked fuses etc.

have you tried it in neutral?

no I havent let me go try that
tried starting it in neutral but still nothing . only clicks like it does usually when I go try to start a car
sounds like the ignition kill switch is faulted and needs to be removed
ok so how do i do that?
i will accept all responsibility on this and will not hold you responsible in anyway
How much will it cost me to have you walk me thru this?
Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago
Joe Prestia

Do you have power at both the orange wire and black cable on the starter with a helper holding the key in the crank position?

i will check
Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Standing by for further help!

there's power i used a tester to get a reading and yes
there's I used a tester to ck and theres power
Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Next put a socket and large ratchet or breaker bar on the crank shaft pully bolt and see if you can turn the engine all the way around by hand.

ok will be back
took a look at it seems i would have to cut thru the fender to get to the crank and what size in mm is the bolt?
well?
if I click on call me I will expect you to please help me get this car running
i'm getting desperate and concerned
thanks for you guys help I will call a mobile mechanic to help me
Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

I"m sorry but I'm not sure of the pully bolt right now and don't have an example in front of me. Basically we're here with our diagnosis. If you have power at both of those wires during crank, then either something mechanically is keeping your engine from turning. Possibly a locked up puller or pump, or a/c compressor. Or the more likely answer is that you have a bad starter.

Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

If you can't find out how to get it to turn because of tool limitations I would take the starter to a local parts store and ask them to test it for you! Good luck!

Kia Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Just dropping by to see if you were able to make any progress on your no-start situation!