Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

P0455 fault sets

Customer Question
p0455 fault sets
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hello. I see you've replaced quite a few things. Has the system been smoke tested to check for leaks?

smoke test and pressure tested with our machine. I am a tech at dodge dealer.
When I use the snap-on scan tool and run the evap forced monitor test it fails every time but our machine shows no leak.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, sounds like its probably a wiring issue. Let me find some diagrams and check it out. I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, check to see if you have power at pin 2 of the canister close valve connector, its an orange wire. Then check if you have ground on pin 1 of the same connector (key off for this one). If you have ground at the white wire with the key off, you're looking at a short to ground between there and the ECM, which would cause the valve to stay open all the time, until the key is off because the power is controlled with the main relay, so that would explain why you aren't finding any leaks. Let me know what you find and we can dig a little deeper if you have to trace that wire to the em

I will check this as soon as I get the car back in here.One thing that I have found wrong with this car is the evap canistor has came apart inside and the charcoal is loose in it but I have never had this set a code in a dodge or jeep for a large leak.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

I would think that it wound not cause a leak but it still should be replaced, it could contaminate the valves and maybe jam them open.

Orange wire has 12v with key on engine off,white wire is not showing a short to ground.I can actuate this valve with the scan tool and see smoke come out of the vent when it opens.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok. Have you checked the fuel pump gasket? If that is good, and all of the lines are good the only other option is to replace the canister since it is broken apart. Aside from that there is nothing else that could be causing it to throw a code for large leak, except for a failed ECM

This car belongs to the service managers sister and thats how it ended up here at the dodge dealer,they have went as far as to replace the ECM with a used one and it failed the evap monitor as well,that is what has me confused.I was hoping that maybe KIA had a software issue in a service bulletin or something.
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Unfortunately there aren't any software updates or TSB's for that issue

Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

I mean really at this point just put a canister in it, everything else has been done so if you can't find any leaks thats probably gonna be it.

What can you tell me about this light blue valve that is spliced in to the line going to the fuel tank and fuel tank pressure valve?
fuel tank pressure sensor not pressure valve
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Its an overfill limiter, unless its cracked it shouldn't affect the system sealing

that should not have any effect on my issue?
Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

No it shouldn't

Kia Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin