fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

There is a very loud banging noise when driving down the

Customer Question

There is a very loud banging noise when driving down the road or highway coming from the underneath side of my 2010 Kia Optima. The dealership said it was the exhaust manifold shield, but I removed it and the noise was still there. I found that a plastic strip under the bumper was loose and fixed that, still the banging noise. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what else to look for?
Thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if it happens mostly when accelerating or decelerating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Driving normal down the highway at 40 mph or more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started out only on a windy day, like something flapping in the wind. Now it does it all the time.
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Is it constant and rhythmic or it inconsistent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is constant and rhythmic
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

One last question. Any vibration associated with this or just noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a flapping, banging noise no vibration
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Most of the time this comes from one of the fender well liners being loose. I would get the car in the air and check each one of the liners to see if they are loose. if they are not loose then check the splash guard on each side of the engine. Those will also make this noise.