Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Power steering stop working after I got winched out.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
1/31/2016
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

It is very likely an inner cylinder sleeve seal in the rack and pinion has failed not allowing the P/S pump pressure to move the piston in the rack and move the wheels. Get the vehicle off the ground. Check the steering oil level. Start the engine and steer full left to right a couple of times to make sure there is no air in the system. Also make sure the belt is still on. If there is still no assist, replace the rack and pinion based on the incident. The correct next tech approach would be to run a pump pressure and flow test with a hydraulic gauge.

.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Would the fluid still be circulating in the pump if this is the case?

You should be able to see fluid moving if the pump and belt are good.

no fluid is moving

Do you have a hydraulic pressure gauge to check the pump?

No. I was just wondering because the power steering was working fine until I got winched and also when I got winched the gear got stuck in reverse. I finally got it to shift but it is still shifting roughly.

Without a way to test it, you may be doing a repair not needed, but with no fluid movement the pump normally would be making noise. With your visual tests replacing the pump should be done first.

Would the pump just knock off without any warning?

When you have a vehicle dragged by winch many things can fail. Assuming you went into a ditch or were in a collision, that also can cause things to fail. Rarely ever would a pump up and failno warning, and if the vehicle was not running when winched it would be odd to fail from winching.

The vehicle was running when winched

Then its very possible to have messed up both the gear and pump. The only way to know for sure which to replace is with a pressure gauge.

I'll take it somewhere to have it checked. It was an emergency road service call. It's covered by my insurance if it was harmed during winching.

Glad I could help, thanks for rating my response.

I took the hose away from the power steering pump and the power steering pump is pulling. When I put the hose back on the fluid started circulating for a few seconds and then stopped.

Sine your filing it on your insurance, they will address it Monday when you take it to the shop.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris