Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a ia 2007 Optima. Two weeks ago the engine warning…

Customer Question
I have a ia 2007...
I have a ia 2007 Optima. Two weeks ago the engine warning light came o. It drives fine, but lately when I fill up the gas tank it will act like it does not want to start. Then it starts, and the RPM gauge goes way up then the needle on the gauge starts shaking.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
1/29/2016
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Hi there,

The most common cause for this issue is a sticking purge control solenoid. This is likely what caused the check engine light to come on.

When it's working normally, the purge solenoid will come on or open when you are driving the car. This will suck the fuel vapors from the charcoal canister into the engine. This is normal. When it sticks open, when you fill the tank or add fuel, the vapors go into the intake and essentially flood the engine. This will cause hard starting after you fill the tank and also rough running until the extra fuel vapors are cleared.

Typically you have to replace the purge solenoid to resolve the issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Hi again,

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician