Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Having issues with my 2008 Sedona. It was sputtering and…

Customer Question
Having issues with my...

Having issues with my 2008 Sedona. It was sputtering and almost stalling. had the coils, plugs and some sort of solenoid changed. now it sputters in idle forward and reverse, in neutral and struggles to go over 60 kph

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When I start it it revs high about 1700rpm, lowers after a few seconds. when I put it in reverse with brake applied, the rpms go to about 500, same in drive with brake applied, but seams to drive fine between 10-60 kph, then struggles if I try to go faster. had lost of work done to is, as above to try and rectify.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
1/23/2016
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

not related to the coil, plug or solenoid that was replaced

Hello

had those parts not already been changed I'd be saying to check them over, so it wasn't necessarily a bad idea to swap them out

try the vac leak test and let me know on this post

Hi

do you still need help?

Went to the shop to have it checked , no check engine light so they thought it was water in the gas line. Put gas line anti freeze in 2 days ago, no change. Engine light finally came on last night, plugged in my code reader got PO306 and accidently erased the second one, now I cant get them back up. These are the same codes I got in the first place months ago. Could it be an electrical/computer problem, we've always had trouble with fuses going, electrical issues like side mirrors, electronic doors.

Hello

to get a single cylinder (no.6) misfire code then I'd check the injector wiring as the next step and also consider doing a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Hi

do you still need help?

Spoke to my mechanic. He suggests flushing the system to clean the injectors.

hello

thats not a bad idea, so you can try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank and if that doesn't help then the next step would be to remove them all and have them professionally cleaned in an ultrasonic bath

Hi

do you still need help?