Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2011 Kia sportage and it wont recognise both smart

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a 2011 Kia sportage and it wont recognise both smart keys even though they have brand new fully charged batteries in them therefore wont start the car.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The accessories will come on but the engine wont start. I have to try for 5-10minutes for it to start, the pressure in the brake gets harder too. When the car does eventually start then there gears do not show up on dash screen and if you try to put the car into drive then it jolts into drive and it will drive funny as if its not in gear
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Kia Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I then have to switch the car off and on again for the gears to come up on the screen, its as if it didn't reboot properly
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problems you are describing may be several problems and not related to the key and the no start, Kia has release a service bulletin for the problem with the smart key which calls for reprogramming them with updated soft ware that may solve the starting problem you are having and would be at least be worth looking into. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for your review. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Smart%20key%20Jan%2013.pdf