Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 1998 Kia Sportage am getting oil coming up to spark

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Kia Sportage am getting oil coming up to spark plugs and will not start was only getting a 6 voltages going back to the fuel pump need to know if I should give up and get a new motor or is there a fix for it
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

hello, what do you mean by oil on plugs, Is oil on the end that fires or oil around top of the plug where coils and wires hook to the plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were the plugs fire
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

how many miles on this engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
145000
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out, I forgot you have voltage problems to the pump and my time is limited this evening so rather than keep you? I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be long soon to continue helping

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There should be no signs of oil on the tips of the spark plugs so before you work on finding out why it will not correct voltage to the fuel pump the first thing you need to do is remove all the spark plugs and run a complete engine compression test. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compression is good
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if the compression is okay are the spark plugs still fouling with oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Oil fouled spark plugs will not usually fire. You need to determine the cause of the oil fouling the spark plugs.