Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2003 Kia Sorento with 112,000 miles. Used stethoscope,

Customer Question
Hello, 2003 Kia Sorento with 112,000...
2003 Kia Sorento with 112,000 miles. Used stethoscope, clicking noise coming from valve train, piston area of engine block. Clicking increases with revving of engine. There is a sludge build-up in engine. Have not been good with regular service. Do you have a suggestion or should I buy new engine?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
12/30/2015
Kia Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy  replied 2 years ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

if the motor is full of sludge a new motor is the easiest. You can try running the motor with half oil half dextron atf for a few days it will clean a lot of the sludge out of the motor.. But usually sludge means oil starvation issues..

Maybe we can look at this in a more constructive way. Using a screwdriver and stethoscope I listened and found the noise to be coming from around the second or third piston/plug area. Beyond throwing in transmission fluid and oil, what would you do (specifically) as a Kia mechanic to fix this issue without buying a new engine and what type of labor charge would be average for your area?

it would need to be torn down and the failure found.. all parts would need to be hot tanked.. so it would be a rebuild you could pull the valve cover and see if the failure appears to be in the head, But at that point with a sludge motor we would first attempt to flush the sludge out.. The upper end is likely starving for oil

we charge 90 dollars a hour and on a sludge motor we would write the estimate for replacement.. Its a liability thing last one to touch it usually gets the blame... and if its full of sludge and carbon its a unmaintained motor..

john aka eauto
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy