Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I have a 2014 Sportage. All of a sudden, the uphill brake

Customer Question
assist light is solid red...
I have a 2014 Sportage. All of a sudden, the uphill brake assist light is solid red and the traction control light is solid yellow. The steering wheel is very loose and pulls hard to the right and the vehicle seems to have lost all suspension.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Kia
12/26/2015
Kia Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. It sounds like you have a problem with the steering angle sensor. All those systems, uphill assist, ESC, electric steering, work off of the steering angle sensor. I have replaced several of these before. What would be best though, is if you could get the abs module checked for codes.

Also, what could cause what you have if the front end took damage from hitting something or a pothole. Or being hit in the wheel in a parking lot. If a tie rod is bent, or etc... that could mess with the steering angle sensor, or have damaged a wheel speed sensor, and would likely cause a hard pull.

Check underneath for damage and also get the codes checked. Is that something you can do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just had codes checked. There must be a lock on individual codes but the parts store guy is saying the steering system has problems but won't say what. I got underneath it the passenger side control arm doesn't look right. My biggest problem is I am 4 hours from the nearest dealer. If I have it fixed locally, will all the sensors reset?

The dealer or a shop that can do alignments need to reset the steering angle sensor generally. But if you have a damaged part and it is replaced and all the sensors come back into alignment, there is a chance that nothing will have to be reset. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician