fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

2007 kia rondo with 2.4 L engine with loud clicking tapping

Customer Question

2007 kia rondo with 2.4 L engine with loud clicking tapping noise in upper engine replace the oil control valve to no avail. could it be a collapsed lifter?
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 kia rondo 2.4 l loud clicking or tapping noise upper engine. changed the oil flow control valve did not change could this be collapsed lifter?
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Does the noise change if you rev the engine or as the engine warms up?>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once warmed up it is a little quieter. but wen you rev engine is more pronounced
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It may be a lifter but that is not too common. Most of the time it is a cam adjuster problem or possibly a sludge issue. How many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
125000, we checked camshaft position sensor and electrically it works
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

The cam phaser itself can be failing, but I have had issues with the oiling system also especially if you are using a cheap quality aftermarket oil filter. Can you pinpoint a certain area that the noise is coming from?