Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia sorento 2.5 TD cdri 2002. the car suddenly stopped,

Customer Question
kia sorento 2.5 TD cdri...
kia sorento 2.5 TD cdri 2002.
the car suddenly stopped, tried ti start but idles very rough engine shakes a lot for a second then stops. checked pressure on high pressure pump seems erratic but produces pressure. sent pump to an independent pump dealer for testing, came back the pump is ok.
ok.
please help.
tony.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2015
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

With erratic fuel pressure from the high pressure pump this can be a fault with a restricted fuel filter (if this has not been checked or replaced already to try and correct this) or a fault with a restriction with the pick up filter in the tank or a kinked or damaged fuel line leading from the tank or filter.I have also seen components like the fuel pressure regulator cause this issue here needing replaced.

I would have all of these checked into here to see which is the cause and from there the affected component replaced or repaired to correct this issue.One of these here will be the cause most likely as these are usually the most common.The other issue (but usually you would see black smoke or a fuel smell from the exhaust) is a leaking fuel injector.I would have these tested if the above checks out o.k.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

i have checked all the above, all checked out ok. I have even fed the high pressure pump with a different supply. so as to eliminate any fault in the tank supply side. checked the injectors all ok. checked timing chain all ok
regards Tony

Can you tell me what the pump pressure is reading or doing when you say it is erratic?

it goes as I crank the engine from 0 to 350 bar, then builds up to about 600 then drops to 350 and keeps going up and down sometimes holds 600 or more but then immediately drops to 350 again.tony.

When it runs is there any black smoke from the exhaust or a fuel smell from the exhaust at all?

no smoke or smell
tony.

Ok unfortunately this is a difficult question for me to fully be able to diagnose from here myself.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

I have discovered what is wrong, I would explain so you can help others with a similar situation, anyway thanks for trying although this time it did not help me at all.fault: the gear on the high pressure fuel pump is clamped by a singe bolt, this was loose, meaning that the gear was slipping on the shaft thus producing an erratic reading, as the shaft is tapered it had partial grip but not enough to start the engine.
I hope this is useful for future diagnostics.regards Tony.

That is great to hear the fault has been located.I will keep this in mind for future reference on this here.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician