Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

There are multiple electrical problems with the car. The

Customer Question

there are multiple electrical problems with the car. The door locks work sometimes, other times not. The trunk won't open with the remote ( or extremely rarely) now the alarm goes off for no reason ... sometimes. The kia dealer said it was the BCM (Body Control Module.)
It is possible to replace it myself? I'm very competent with mechanics so I know I can get it out, but will the car except a used one that I get from Ebay. Does the dealer need to re-set it somehow or will my replacement work. Do I need to get the broken one out first to check serial numbers or anything to make sure I get the right one, or are they all the same in the 2004 Amanti's.
Assuming this is something that can be replaced, please include diagrams for removal and any procedures that might be needed to re-set the BCM or on board computer, etc.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The BCM is a common component that will fail and cause these issues here.Unfortunately it needs replaced with a new one as a used one is already set up and programmed to another vehicle.The dealer will also need to setup and program the replacement with it in your vehicle before your vehicle will operate and in some cases even start up so it is best to allow them to replace it as the vehicle may not start at all once it is replaced until it is setup properly.You don't need to check any numbers on it as they can order the correct one in per your VIN number.

If you still want the replacement procedure let me know and I will see if I can locate and post it here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would still like the procedure. Also, do you know if I try and it doesn't work, will the old BCM still work or will it lose it's settings by being unplugged.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.The old BCM should still be able to be plugged in and operate properly if the new doesn't work.You may need to have the new one programmed by a dealer before it will operate properly.

Here is the replacement procedure

1. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0efc5e1p3u2hs6/b-11-16.gif?dl=0

2. Remove the drive lower crash panel after removing the side mounting cover.

3. Loosen the BCM mounting bolt and disconnect the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74i2l0vcdwn2ooj/bc-11-16.gif?dl=0

4. Installation is the reverse of removal procedures. NOTE: If the battery voltage is disconnected for more than about 10 seconds, BCM is reset. WARNING: - When learning the BCM after replacing it, enter the correct PIN code. - Once if the incorrect PIN code is entered, BCM cannot be reused. - Check the BCM state by using Hi-scan.

Thanks Pete