Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How Do I replace the Transmission Range Sensor on a Kia 2004

Customer Question

How Do I replace the Transmission Range Sensor on a Kia 2004 Sportage
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a P0705 Engine Code, my mechanic said I have to replace the Transmission Range Sensor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Need diagrams, part Numbers and steps on how to do.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** is your vin number? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KNDJB723725162518" AND ITS' A 2002 KIA Sportage
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about delay, I'll gather information for you. Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Manual does not have replacement instructions but it has adjustment instructions which pretty much shows everything you need. The part number is ***** let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv677yhquc3amt9/trsrr.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those diagrams don't show where the TRS is, and it is a replaceable part, is there someone else that can help me
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

It is located on the side/top of transmission where the shifter linkage connects to transmission. This is a replaceable part and shouldn't take over a hour to replace. These are the only diagrams in manual. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get to it? From inside where shifter is or under the hood
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

You will want to put vehicle on lift or ramps and get at it from underneath. Let me know if you run into problem,s thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K. This part #0K01519444 is for a Neutral Safety Switch. Is this the same as a Transmission Range Sensor? For Error Code P0705, I want to make sure I'm buying the correct part. And now If this is the issue I can find it onto of Transmission.
Is there a Diagram on how to remove this.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you look on the 5th or 6th page in above link it shows mounting screws. There are 2 screws holding it to transmission, then you need to remove the transmission linkage, and transmission range sensor will pull off. The neutral safety switch is same thing as transmission range switch. This is the only diagram available in manuals. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a chance that it can be the Speed Sensor and not the Transmission Range Sensor?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

No, this code is specifically related to the transmission range sensor. This code sets when the computer detects wrong signal from the sensor. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh one more thing is there any adjustments on the new one I purchase, or do I just install it, the way it comes out of the box?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

No problem, you can reply at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know how it turns out. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

There are adjustment instructions which are included in above link, it is pretty straight forward though. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Let me know how goes, thanks.