Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2009 kia sportage w ABS Having trouble bleeding brakes very

Customer Question
2009 kia sportage w ABS...
2009 kia sportage w ABS Having trouble bleeding brakes very low pressure on rt rear wheel & left front caliper have manually bleed system removed master cyl & Relaced w new Bench bleed before install very low pedal also cracked lines @ abs unit found no air Have re bled system many times must be over looking some thing or bleeding procedure wrong , we did bleed rt rear then left front then left rear then rt front . tryed a lot of different ways NO LUCK !
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/3/2015
Kia Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician  replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

I attached the brake bleed procedure straight from kia.

The bad news is that it requires a scan tool in order to activate the bleed procedure in the ABS module.

The good news is that you might be able to trick it to bleed it's self. It's not the safest way to do it so I'm not assuming any responsibility if you try it. The official way to bleed these brakes is with a scan tool. Now that I've absolved myself from any liability, you might try this if the brakes are working fairly well, they just feel soft or spongy:

Take the vehicle on an unused dirt road, get up to about 20-30 MPH. Nail the brakes. The vehicle will try to skid- this will activate the ABS pump and in most cases force any air in the system through and out of the pump into the master cylinder reservoir.

You will probably have to do it a couple of times.

It doesn't always work, and it's not the safest way to do it, but sometimes it works like a dream. Especially for those of us who can't afford an expensive scan tool.

we did have the car on the scanner , went thru the self bleed with scanner , you could hear the ABS pump cycle still we still have a very low pedal , just doesnt want to pump up

I think I would still try the dirt road method and see if the pedal will come back up. It works really well on our fleet trucks.

You don't have a variant of this model that has drum brakes in the rear do you?

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician