fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

My 2007 KIA Sedona EX loaded, 75,000 miles has had an A/C

Customer Question

Dave... my 2007 KIA Sedona EX loaded, 75,000 miles has had an A/C clicking/clunking sound since NEW. The clunking sound quits when the compressor cycles to the off mode. KIA has tried to fix this problem with no success so many times that I just quit going back for the same. At least two new compressors, change this, change that, adjust this, adjust that and over the years and I still have the noise. Do you have any thoughts...Phil
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There was a lot of issues with the a/c compressor on this vehicle. Kia had a technical bulletin for it which included replacing the compressor clutch assembly to help with the noise. Many of the first compressors that were replaced did not have this new clutch assembly. With that being said, even after they were replaced you would still get some noise simply due to the king of compressor that was designed for this vehicle. I have had better luck with aftermarket rebuilt compressors on this van, than OE ones. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby...thanks for the prompt reply. What you are telling me is what I have been hearing over the years. I really expect KIA to correct the problem even though my A/C system is now out of warranty (all this A/C replacement stuff happened during the 50,000 bumper to bumper) and was hoping you could provide some new technical bulletin or a recall notice. A (I pay for) "better luck" solution is not what I am looking for and think KIA should own up to the repair...Phil
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

I understand Phil. I totally agree with your thinking on this. The problem is that none of the government oversight divisions will force any sort of recall on this as it is not safety related, and Kia does not find it to be necessary. Again, I think that is a cop out if you cannot find a way to repair it. I wish I could provide something better. If you would like I will opt out and open the question up to other techs to see if anyone has heard anything different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby...no need to opt out. I thank you for sharing what I suspected all along, no new tech bull or KIA recall. I'm out of luck...Phil
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that I do not have better news. Some of these manufacturers get away with letting things go when they are not safety related. Some times Kia National will step in, but without a true fix for the issue even they cannot fix it. Unfortunately none of these aftermarket AC conpressor manufacturers care to take the time to design anything different either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby...you have given me very straight forward answers regarding my issue. However, no new satisfactory remedies have surfaced. I would like to receive a refund of my "ask a question" fee. How do I go about that...Phil
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Simply contact customer service regarding this. Thank you, ***** ***** you need anything else in the future please let me know.