Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Had ABS and ESC lights go on after replacing both front hub

Customer Question
assemblies. Found that front driver...
Had ABS and ESC lights go on after replacing both front hub assemblies. Found that front driver ABS sensor was shot (failed mutlimeter testing, passenger passed fine). Replaced ABS sensor on front driver, cleared the error code on computer, but ABS and ESC lights won't go off (no cruise still either). Computer doesn't see any further problem. Checked the fuses in the cabin, no problems.
What else might be going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
8/7/2015
Kia Mechanic: 3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician

hi can you monitor the abs sensors with your scan tool

you may have got a hub that do i snot for a car with abs / wrong part ??

Unfortunately I can't monitor the ABS sensors with the tools I have. I know the ABS sensor works with the CV axle (the sensor sits just above the serated magnetic ring) but I don't see anything that would involve the wheel hubs. There is no connection wire to the hubs and when I bought the part there was no option for ABS vs non-ABS since all 2006 Kia Sedona have ABS. Is there something I don't understand here?

did you have to remove the sensor

I did not need to remove the sensor to replace the wheel hub assembly. However, I did remove both sensors to test them with a multi-meter. Since then I have replaced the bad ABS sensor (it failed both a continuity test and resistance test) since then.
If it helps this is the exact hub assembly I ordered.http://www.am-autoparts.com/Kia/Sedona/front-wheel-bearings-and-hubs/AM-96627041/554871.htmlThe website says it is a direct replacement for the OEM part.

what are the codes that your getting

P0501 Generic Vehicle Speed Sensor A Range/Performance
That was the code that I was getting, but no longer get that code now that the ABS sensor has been replaced, but the ABS light and ESC light are still lit...even after clearing the error code from the computer.

did you drive the car

I have taken it out for a couple trips. One on local streets and a 5 mile trip on the interstate. I was hoping the data received from the new sensor would clear up the problem.

ok try this disconnect t the battery cable both of them then after you have remove them from the battery hold them touching each other for one minute then reconnect and see what happen

OK just to confirm, remove the positive and negative battery cables, hold them touching each other (like I would discharge a static buildup) for one minute, then reconnect the battery cables and see if that clears up the problem?

correct

Ok I'll be back in a few

ok

No change. I'm going to put this problem on hold for now. I have to leave in the morning for a*****and I don't have time to mess with this any longer tonight. I will be out of town until Thursday of next week. Can we pick this up again then?

ok

3pac2222
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician