Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Probably a long shot, 06 sportage ex pulls codes 0420 and 0430,

Customer Question

Probably a long shot, 06 sportage ex pulls codes 0420 and 0430, find it hard to believe both cats went out simultaneously. Research shows other people with similar situations replaced both without a fix to symptoms
symptoms are loses acceleration at interstate speeds gas pedal does nothing. when using slap shift can maintain 60mph but no faster
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Is the engine laboring and bogging down at this speed?Any other issues even prior to this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never noticed a laboring problem or bogging down at these speeds, so if it is it's minimal. The only other issues I've noticed, are if I have to accelerate quickly it hops when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The loss of acceleration at high speeds has happened one other time on that incident I pumped the gas about 3 times and on the third pump it hopped and began accelerating again. both times I was @ a quarter of a tank or lower. Seems like there would be some connection with fuel. Some research I've done states a fuel filter and separate fuel strainer. the fuel strainer is in the tank, but some research states there is also a non serviceable filter under the wheel well. my maitnance schedule states the fuel filter needs to be changed every 30,000 miles or so. But I can't find it

Since it is not bogging down or laboring at 60 mph when you can not increase speed. What is causing it not to increase speed:unable to get the rpms to increaseno response to the throttlemisfirewrong gear?The symptoms are not pointing to restricted converters, though there are no other codes indicating a concern that may of caused these codes. The only fuel filter is inside the fuel tank. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is why I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the fuel pump or strainer. Like you stated there are only the 2 codes pulling which are both for the cat. Just trying to narrow down the field of possible causes. It doesn't seem to be misfiring, and I'm not sure how it could be wrong gear on an automatic w/slapshift manual (if that makes sense). When it acted up this last time, I started losing speed while in D, when I kicked it over to slapshift once in 4th gear could maintain 60 but not accelerate past that speed. Yesterday after starting my car after it sat for a week once it idled for about 10 min, I noticed a hot or burning belt smell. when I popped the hood there was a small amount of smoke then it went away in about a min along with the hot belt smell. Possibly from sitting? Same smell again later that day when I gunned it to see if I could recreate any symptoms but no smoke.

We can rule out the pump by doing a pressure test at this speed and low power to see if the pressure is dropping off, can you do that?