Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Kia Sorento EX: ,Sorry, I am French, I lived in New

Customer Question

Sorry, I am French, I lived in New Caledonia and I speak a little bit English!
I have a sorento 3.5 V6 of 2003. A few months ago, my engine warmed further to a big flight(leak) in the radiator and the engine propped up(stalled). I made dragged, changed the radiator and put back(handed) the engine on the way. The light engine ignited in the dashboard and the engine had some failures. Nothing serious. While being at it, I made change the belt of distribution(casting) and both sensors inside. Always lit(switched on) light and missed engine. My mechanic changed 6 candles, three reels and six sons(threads) of candles. Always the same problem. Another mechanic tested injectors, took the compression ratios and checked(controlled) the distribution(casting). The said diag: error primary sector, error secondary sector, error on cylinders 2 and 5. He(it) erased the data of the embedded computer then began again, the errors are the same. The light engine is always switched on in the dashb
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order to be able to try and help you I need you to list any and all fault codes the computer system is setting, post back with them and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ron,
Thanks for your answer. I try to have an appointment with a mechanic today and I send you all default codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Okay that will work, post back when you can and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ron,
Had an appointment just today. Sorry for this time.
Diagnostic : P0350 - ignition coil primary/secondary circuit.
The engine grazes and turns(shoots) on 4 or 5 cylinders all the time.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The code P0350 can be set due to any of the following concerns,
Ignition Coil Assembly
Ignition Failure Sensor
Spark Plug Wire(s)
Spark Plug(s)
In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0350%20Aug%203.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron,
I followed all your instructions and everything seems normal. After putting with zero of the codes error ( P0350), the same result(profit): the car always grazes and the malfunction indicator lamp is always switched on. What do you advise(do recommend) me to make now?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Is the the engine actually misfiring?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, all the time ! Like as a spark plug has died, but they are all new one !
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Okay if its actually misfiring and you are sure the coil and the circuit to it then the problem is likely with the engine . Make sure the coil is firing and if so then run a compression test on this cylinder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Run compression : OK
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Well if you have good compression, good spark and injector pulse the cylinder should fire. Are you sure all three are present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately yes.
The mechanic whom I saw to NOUMEA thinks that the embedded computer died and that it is necessary to change the CDI. I don't know what to do anymore? What feeds reels (the spark plugs) in the depart? Can a relay have died?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The coils are fired through the ground switching signal from the ECM (computer) from the signal from the crank sensor and its not likely a relay causing this problem. If the coil is okay then I would have him look at the circuit from the ECM to the coil as well as the signal out of the ECM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
But how can i test the signal from ECM ? With a multimeter ? And where is the ECM in the car ? Is a good idea to change now the ECM ? Used part or new part ? Have you a graphic of the circuit ?
Thanks again for answer
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
You would need t ohm the wires from the coils to the ECM with an Ohm meter. I would not replace anything until the circuit has been tested and if you have never done this before you really should seek out some help from a trained professional. This is not an easy job.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK.
The crankshaft sensor has been replaced when i replace the timing belt. This is not an "kia" original piece. Do you think i must begin to look this part before ? If the crankshaft sensor give bad information to ECM, then ECM is in malfunction ? Perhaps the wedging of the timing belt is bad ! Like i say before, the car well start tree times on four, and the fourth time, very difficult to start. I must insist on starter with the gas pedal entirely to start ?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
If it start and you have injector pulse as well as spark then its not a crankshaft sensor problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thanks.
I am going to try to make the work myself. You can possibly show me on an electric plan (from the ecm to the reel) the procedure to be followed so that I can make out a will if the impulse is given well by the ECM. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure what you mean when you say real. Can you explain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry.
It's a reverso traduction from french to english !
I mean from ECM to relay or from ECM to ignition coil.
Why i want to do it by myself ? because i saw two technicians and i give them 150 000 F CFP (about 1 500 $) just to work on my car ! I don't include in this price all the parts i bought. And the car is always out of order.
I hope you understand my desapointment.
Just for having the code P0350 by technician : 75$.