Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia rio 5: Have a heater fan that works intermittent one day

Customer Question
Have a heater fan that...
Have a heater fan that works intermittent one day works 2 days no works sometimes it maybe weeks what may be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
7/13/2015
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi there,Is this an auto system or manual?
manual
When it's working I get all speeds
Ok,Couple of possibilities on these. Some have issues out at the fuse box under the hood. When the fan is working, open the hood and wiggle the wires coming out of the box with the blower on. If it stops, then you have to open the box up and check it internally for poor connections. If the fan continues to run, then you need to check the connection at the blower to make sure it's in good shape. You can use the same wiggle test there as well. If neither seem to change the situation, then it is likely the fan speed switch not providing proper ground at all times. This would be a faulty fan switch in most cases.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you with this.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
The blower is working so you hope that it mite work? The only way to check the wires on the fan is disassemble the hole dach.
This is not worth the amount of the question.
Not sure I understand your comment this is not worth the value of the question?Are you suggesting that a shop taking the dash apart would be cheaper or of more value, I was under the impression you wanted to try and resolve this on your own?I am merely telling you the most common issues I find on your vehicle and the simplest method of tracking down the area to focus on. If you are not willing to do the work how can I assist you?I guess I need to know what your expectations are from me please.
Is there a way to check from the fan plug to test the fan? there are 8 plug hole. One has a red wire but it is not hot .none of them hot that a test lite will pick up. I thought that you said to check the fan connection at the blower which requires disassemble the hold dash to get to it. Not the switch compartment.to replace the fan you have to remove the hole dash.so to get to the wires on the fan you have to do the hole dash. I have check the switch and it doesn't appear to be burned.as far your answer to the question is something that I have tried before without taking the dash out. and I'm will have the dealer do that. That is way my statement was" This is not worth the amount of the question." maybe I should have said answer.
OkThis 8 hole connector you are wanting to test, is this on the back of the control head? Where the fan switch is?If it is, then the Orange wire should have power with the key on and the connector unplugged. Basically the blower should have constant power, then the switch provides ground. So, I do not think you would see power on the orange wire with the switch plugged in. If you unplug it, then the power should flow through the blower and to the orange wire.The dash doesn't have to come out to access the blower motor. It's under the dash on the passenger side. 3 bolts holds it in the dash, and the connection for both the blower and the blower motor resistor are right there.Sending a photo for you with the harness connection I was asking you to look at.
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician