Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia spectra: 2008 Kia spectra, had a problem with brake lights…

Customer Question
2008 Kia spectra, had a...
2008 Kia spectra, had a problem with brake lights not working, changed the switch all good. Next day daughter complained of very touchy brakes, then noticed that brakes were staying engauged car would barely move. replaced all calipers and pads front and rear, turned rotors, all good for several days then the same issues again. Master cylinder? I have read of several Kia owners with these issues but no one tells what was found in the end.Do not want to just keep replacing parts, I am looking for aguidline for a path forward.
Thanks,
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Kia
7/12/2015
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
You need to drive it till this brake drag occurs, then get it on a rack or stands so the wheels can be rolled and the drag felt. Then loosen the lines at the master cylinder. If the wheels then roll freely then it is the master cylinder or the brake booster. If the drag remains then its the ABS. To rule out the booster you do the same test but loosen the master from the booster to get a gap on the push rod, if the brakes free up doing this then its the booster. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris