Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2001 sephia won't start the injectors are not pulsing I

Customer Question
2001 sephia won't start the...
2001 sephia won't start the injectors are not pulsing I checked all relays and fuses the car was sitting 3 years checked for carotid wires none to be found it will start with carb cleaner
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
7/5/2015
Kia Mechanic: mr. b. rector, kia master tech replied 2 years ago
mr. b. rector
mr. b. rector, kia master tech
Hello, I apologize for the delay. Starting with carb cleaner does show you are getting spark, the injector pulse is controlled by the engine controller module via the under hood fuse block. Check all fuses in the fuse block, if all good remove the positive and negative battery terminals and jump together, leave connected for at least ten minutes and then remove jumper wire and reconnect to battery. Check that area out and reply back. Thanks for letting me help, Mr. B
What does shorting out the terminals do
Also I changed the ecu under center of dash
The shorting of the terminals resets the computer, sometimes logic issues can occur with a module, and just like your computer at home you just need to shut them down for awhile and reboot., But since you said you replaced the ecm, this probably will not help. I would give it a try, you just never know. If this does not help, reply back and I will what I can do to further assist you, Mr. B
I've been trying to trace wire's for days
any hardware components cause this
oh and I also changed the power distribution box
The ecm, the distribution box and wiring via the ignition switch are about all that could affect the injector pulse. I suggest to clean all grounds at the fuse box and near the computer, if you can get star washers please install them after cleaning the ground contact area. Mr. B
Those sharp washers that did in
I've tried running new grounds to ecm
battery - to body and block
even though the grounds look clean
If you have an ohm meter, check continuity from the battery ground to several different points around the engine, you should have nearly complete continuity at all points. If you encounter a fairly high resistance like 3ohms or higher check the grounds again. Mr. B
Check the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse block, see if it is energizing.
It's not
Ok, there is always 12 volts at one terminal on the fuel pump relay. This 12 volts is waiting for the coil side of relay to be energized to let the 12 volts pass through and onto the fuel pump. Pull the fuel pump relay and check for 12 volts on one terminal, with ignition off. If you have 12 volts then turn ignition on still with relay out and see if you have 12 volts on one of the other terminals. Check out and reply back with results, Mr. B
Yes right next to it 12 volts
Ok , you have 12 volts on one of the terminals, now with the ignition switch in the on position you should have voltage on one of the other terminals, if you do have voltage on the other terminal and the fuse is still not showing power with the relay reinstalled, then either the relay is bad and no closing the contacts inside or there is an open circuit between the relay and the fuse. The fuse will only have voltage to it when the relay contacts are closed.
Replaced relay still nothing
So you do have voltage at the relay terminal when the switch is turned on? Have you checked the injector fuse? Also is the main relay clicking when ignition is turned on? I apologize for so many questions, it can be quite difficult diagnosing from a remote site.
Pulled main relay it clicks
injector fuse is good and has 12 v
Ok, now check to see if you have voltage at one side of the injectors, with key on engine off.
Yes I have voltage at all 4 injectors
Ok, either there is an open between the ecm and the injectors or the connectors have a bad connection. There is not another connector between the ecm and the injectors, check for good pin tension at the injectors and at the ecm, check for bent or backed out pins and or sockets also corrosion, if you are certain the connections are good, then the ecm is not sending a pulse signal to the injectors, that is done on the wire without the voltage with key on engine off.
So what do I check what wires colors
Just pull the connectors and check for pin tension and for anything that might look suspect. I apologize I can not give the exact info on the ecm connectors, KIA is phasing out the schematics on those year models, info is very vague.
ive been trying for 4 days
My schematics look just about the same, I do believe a close up inspection of the connectors and harness will reveal an issue if that ecm you replaced is good.
the connectors look good
is there a way jump to see where the fault is
Not recommended, you may cause an issue with the ecm. I suggest following the injector wires back to the ecm.
so do check the volatage at ecu pin fuel 8njectors
No, you have voltage at the injectors already, ecm supplies ground for the pulse.
what wite is my pulse from ecu
correct
oops I meant what wire
I understood lol
What pin at ecu
3, 4 , 31, 32
So all 4 wires need to be continuity tested
yes
to what point
also does this control fuel pump
I think you have an ecu issue, we have to determine what is functional and what
that was replaced
new or used?
used working one
Have you checked the wires yet?
do I leave the ecu plugged in to trace
No , remove battery terminal ground, unplug the ecu and the injectors, ohm the harness from the injectors to the ecu connector. Just leave your test probe hooked to the injector connector starting with anyone and probe pins 3w, 4, 31, and 32. if you do not get continuity on any of those pins with the other probe hooked up to any injector, then you have an open circuit.
ok ill check
ok
They all have continuity
Are using a noid light tester to check for pulse?
If I jump fuel pump it should start if I'm pulsing
I used a 12v instrument cluster bulb bent down leads
Never tried that before, you can get a noid light kit at just about any parts store. But yes, if its pulsing and you have fuel supply it should start, that is if the fuel is good. You did say it had been sitting for three years, I hope thats not the same fuel.
yes same gas but the fuel pump don't run unless I jump it
There is no way that vehicle is going to run on three year old fuel, I will opt out maybe another expert can help, Mr. B
I understand that but fuel pump wont run
mr. b. rector
mr. b. rector
mr. b. rector, kia master tech