Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia Sephia LS: my 2001 kia sephia runs great on the way

Customer Question
my 2001 kia sephia runs...
my 2001 kia sephia runs great on the hi way but over heat in town why?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2015
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi there,Is the cooling fan actually coming on? I see you replaced itLet me know.

yes

I live 20 minutes form my work when I drive to work I have no probblems but if I need to drive in town where there are a lot of stop and go's then I over heat if I turn on the heater or got out on a hy way so I don't have to stop then it cools down
Ok, first thing I would do then is try to clean out the cooling fins on the radiator. This acts like it's not getting good air flow through the radiator. This can cause overheating at low speeds but allow enough to be forced through when you are cruising.It is also possible there is a water pump issue, and it's not pushing enough coolant through the system at the lower speeds, but usually it's the radiator.Try taking a garden hose and cleaning out the cooling fins and see if there is any improvement.Please let me know what more I can do to help.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician