Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Sedona: , my 2008 kia sedona van just stopped accelerating…

Customer Question
Hello, my 2008 kia sedona...
Hello, my 2008 kia sedona van just stopped accelerating a few minutes ago...the engine works but it doesn't respond to me pushing the gas pedal...it's not making any strange sounds, but it is shuddering a little, which it had not been doing until it stopped accelerating. Can you help us figure out what it is?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Kia
6/6/2015
Kia Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician  replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The shuddering you mentioned could indicate a problem with the transmission and or the torque converter and or even an engine performance concern. When the PCM (computer ) sees a system fault with the engine and or the transmission it should set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to start with having the computer system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back, we can work from there to determine the actual cause.
The engine codes was P0100 (I think that's what he said) and engine "too lean at idle"? These codes were pulled the day before the car stopped accelerating, when the light was check engine light was on. Also, I don't know if you saw the second post where I gave more information, but the key won't come out of the ignition unless we disconnect the battery first. I was just driving it yesterday when it just stopped accelerating and just coasted to a stop. An hour later, when we went to try to drive it home, it started and ran like normal with two barely-perceptible shudders in the 20 minute long drive. My husband checked and it had plenty of transmission fluid.
Actually, I shouldn't say that it coasted to a stop...I braked because I didn't know what else to do. There was a safe place to pull over right there, so I took it. The engine did not rev when I pushed on the gas pedal. I didn't get a look at the RPM's, so I can't tell you what they did, but I did not hear any revving when I was pushing the gas.
Also, the "ESC Off" light is on now too. It has come off and on for a few weeks.
The code P0100 is not a valid fault code so if you can , please have the scan rechecked to get me the code. Get me this and I will advise on both concern to see if they are related. The ESC should also be setting a fault code when you get it rescanned.
I am sorry, but my van is 22 miles from a place that can give me a new code...is there any way that you can do what you can without the codes? ...also, we have to disconnect the battery every time we turn the car off, and it takes about 45 minutes of driving the car to get the light to come back on. I don't think the car will drive for that long without losing power and possibly causing an accident. I can tell you that the ECS Off light was on when the guy got the codes last time, and there was no code for ESC. we thought that was strange...so did he.
Another piece of info that might be helpful is that our driveway has become extremely bumpy (extremely!) and it is possible that the car and its underacrriage is taking a beating, because no matter how carefully I drive through the ruts, it's nasty.
Unfortunately with out knowing the code and or code there is no why to be able to give you any type of a clear answer besides guessing and that not a good idea. I'm sorry I can not offer more.
I owe over 5000 dollars on this van, but I have 4 children who are more important than money. I guess one of the things that I need to get a sense of is whether or not this is a vehicle that I should keep. I don't want to get stranded, or worse, get into an accident because the van is not reliable, AND we cannot pay for a new transmission right now...our oldest is going to college in the fall and our youngest is still in daycare... I'm not asking for financial advice but just mechanical advice whether this is the beginning of a long, expensive relationship with this van.
I understand about the codes...I will try to get my husband to help me take it back into town, but I'm not hopeful :( We can't afford a tow if it can't make the trip home. Thanks for listening so far and for offering your services.
If the problem is actually with the transmission and I suspect its is then you may want to consider getting rid of it, replacing the transmission will be very costly and if it fails it will leave you walking. I sure under stand the expenses raising children, I have a daughter ins college as well. I do my best to help you figure out what is failing if by chance somehow we can get the codes.
Does the key not releasing from the ignition have anything to do with the transmission? My husband is convinced that the primary problem is a Throttle Position Sensor, but would that explain the key not releasing?
Its possible if there is a shift lock concern and or a shifter problem. A bad TP would have no bearing on the key at all and it would also set a code for the TP sensor if it was bad.