Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Optima LX: Eric, have a 2006 kia optima. The ac compresser…

Customer Question
hi Eric, have a 2006...
hi Eric, have a 2006 kia optima. The ac compresser wont always engage. Usually does we it 1st starts up. May run for 20-30 min fine, then blows hot air, sometimes 5-6 min later blows cold for a few then back to hot air. Swapped relays for AC, no difference. AC light always stays on, sometimes changing temp dial to low kicks it on for a few min then back to hot. It cools fine if the compresser stays engaged. Had Freon checked, thats fine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Kia
5/29/2015
Kia Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician  replied 3 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Your last line is telling
"It's like what ever electronics tells the AC to come on is failing."
The sensor that tells the system what the evaporator temperature is does fail. This sensor is in front of the console on the passenger side. It is a single electrical connector and a twist and pull removal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/evap.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab to see the removal.
Please let me know how i can help
Thank you