George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

Kia Sedona LX: George, I bought used Sedona with 136K

Customer Question

Hello George,
I bought used Sedona with 136K miles.
Was going to change transmission oil with SPIII Castrol Import vihecle, but lots of ppl warning me that changing the oil could fail the AT if the previous owner wasn't replacing it regularly.
I can't stop thinking not to change it as I'll be destroying the transmission anyway.
Any tips prior to doing that :)
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
I would go ahead and replace the fluid. It used to be that changing the fluid on a high mileage transmission was iffy but todays transmissions are very different than those you hear stories about.
Most of the fluid change failures you hear about had burnt fluid and mechanical issues they were trying to correct by replacing the fluid. They would have failed fluid change or not.
As long as the fluid is clean and not burnt and the transmission is operating properly you can go ahead and change it out.
Please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that including the filter as well ?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
There is not a replaceable filter in this transmission. It has a screen that is cleaned during overhaul but the transmission has to be disassembled to reach the screen.
Just the fluid and that will restore the additives that have oxidized and those will help prolong the life of the clutch packs and keep it clean inside.
Please let me know how i can help
Thank you