Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Optima: I have my Mom's 2001 Optima. The airbag light

Customer Question

I have my Mom's 2001 Optima. The airbag light is always on. She had it check back when she purchased it and was told they couldn't find a problem. When I was in an accident, the airbag didn't open.
What should I do?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay here and I am posting as soon as I saw your question myself.
If the air bag warning light is on this indicates either a fault is detected with the air bag computer and one or more fault codes are set in the air bag computer that need read out with a scan tool and diagnosed and repaired to turn off this light or there is an issue with the air bag computer itself or instrument cluster turning on the light for no reason,this can be why no codes were detected when it was checked.
If you were in a serious accident to where the air bag should have gone off and it didn't this along with the air bag light above with no codes set can indicate the air bag computer has an internal fault and it needs replaced.I would have this checked/tested further to see if this is the cause here and the air bag computer replaced if found to be the fault.If the dealer is unable to test this to determine this as the cause then another dealer or repair facility will need to look into this issue.
Thanks Pete