K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Kia Optima EX: Am working on 2011 kia optima GDI knocking

Customer Question

Am working on 2011 kia optima GDI knocking noise in middle of column there are wires coming out of some type of sensor what is it

Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how many wires and what color?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tight spot 3 to 4 wire one brwn/blk stripe & yellow wit blue stripe & plain yellow

thanks, ***** ***** colors look like they match the steering wheel heater switch, which wouldn't knock. I'm going to post a diagram of the column below and see if you can tell me the area.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103900598/ACE%20-%208.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What u thank is the noise

It's either the electric power steering motor or it's U joints. Usually the U joints on the shaft go out before the motor does. Since you wouldn't be able to hear popping of the EPS motor without a load on it I'd recommend replacing the lower shaft U joints first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took ujounts assy. Loose from upper steering column noise still there every time I center the steering wheel I here clunking noise just only when I center the wheel thank u so far for your advise

Jimmie I'm going to open this back up to other experts to get a second opinion for you. Someone should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Another expert has not contacted me yet