Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Sedona: 2008 Kia Sedona. The heater/AC fan controls for…

2008 Kia Sedona. The...
2008 Kia Sedona. The heater/AC fan controls for the front and rear suddenly do not work correctly. The front fan runs at full speed regardless of the fan knob setting whenever the heat/AC control is in any position other than off. The rear fan also is either off (when set to 0) or runs at full speed (when set at anything other than 0).
2/2/2014
Kia Mechanic: FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE replied 8 years ago
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
I'm ready to answer your KIA questions right now.
I have seen this issue many times before, and it is possible that the a/c controller is faulty, or it could just be a software glitch inside the a/c controller, that is causing this issue.There are 2 different reset procedures for the vehicle, that may fix this issue,but if all the fuses are good and the reset procedures do not restore the a/c controls, the fix may be replacing the controller.
Reset 1 - there is a shunt fuse( basically 2 fuses in a yellow holder) that is located in the fuse box at the drivers side knee panel. This fuse/shunt does not remove all the way......... Turn ignition off, pull the shunt fuse out till it stops, turn the ignition to accessory position for 30 seconds, turn the ignition off, remove the key for 30 seconds, push the shunt fuse back in, start the vehicle and test the a/c for operation.
Reset 2 - open hood, put all windows up, close all doors and rear hatch, remove key from ignition,put in pocket. Disconnect both battery cable terminals from battery posts, cover battery posts with something to ensure no accidents can happen.using a small piece of wire about a foot long, you will need to connect both battery cable terminals together for approx 30 to 45 seconds(not the posts on the battery) ....longer will not hurt, shorter time may not work.
I use a 2 foot long piece of 12 gauge wire with alligator clamps at both ends to do this.This reset procedure will restore your control modules back to virgin/new state, you will loose all radio stations preset, your clock time and possibly your satellite subscription information.. All will have to be reset. Reinstall the battery cable terminals, alarm may sound, close hood, insert key in drivers door. And turn the key to the unlock position 2 times without going to the lock position at all..... Open the door, start engine and test operation of a/c controls.Let me know what the results are after resets.
Thanks
FLATRATE572
Please rate my response, quality of information and overall helpfulness of this answer.

The van was in use yesterday and we have been snowed in today -- I hope to try the reset procedure tomorrow, they I will let you know what happens.

Take your time...

I tried both methods this afternoon as soon as my granddaughter brought the van back from work. Alas, all I accomplished was having to reset the time on the dashboard clock. The fan control issue remains the same.

Given the usual prices of "computer" parts plus dealer labor rates, I guess I will have to just get used to the fans blowing on full any time I use the heat or A/C. I don't mind the amount of air that they blow, but I do find the noise for the fans somewhat annoying.

It's not so much the labor, should only be about 75.00 to replace, but the part can range from 180.00 to 380.00 depending on the exact model you have
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE