Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2006 Sorento has 100,000 miles on it. Wife started noticing…

2006 Sorento has 100,000 miles...
2006 Sorento has 100,000 miles on it. Wife started noticing rear vibes and noises. Took it to a garage and up on the stand you could feel the rear axle/differential vibrating when the rear wheels were allowed to freely spin with the engine idling in Drive.

Did a little internet research and found that the carrier bearings go out on these vehicles after 70,000 miles. I have found after-market drive shafts that are designed without a carrier bearing.

My two questions are: 1) is the rear axle housing usually salvageable or typically does the whole assembly get replaced? (my main concern is contamination jamming the rear diff. gears) 2) What would the typical repair costs be if only the drive shafts are replaced and if the entire axle assembly has to be replaced? I don't plan on having a dealer fix it. So, the labor hours will be cheaper.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2014
Kia Mechanic: FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE replied 8 years ago
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
I'm ready to answer your KIA questions right now.
Hello I am a shop Foreman at a major Kia dealer, and have about 15 years experience solely on KIA.
Let's take your questions in order.
1) the whole rear end does not need to be replaced, but just the differential assembly, at the center of rear end where the drive shaft meets the rear end... Also known as the rear end pumpkin.
2) the whole drive shaft would not need to be replaced, just the center support bearing, and the u-joints, since they need to be removed to replace the bearing...... The aftermarket solid drive shafts, are not recommended, as I have seen them cause problems with noise, interference issues and major vibration issues.

I noticed that there is not a removable cover on the "pumpkin" on the aft side. Is the diff. assembly accessible from the front side where the drive shaft mates with it?

Also, when we had the car up on the lift at the garage we noticed that the left rear wheel was wobbling a little when we allowed the rear wheels to spin freely.

Yes the diff assembly, is removable from the front side only.
There are only a few possibilities for the wobble......bad tire, bent rim, bent rear axle shaft.
Best thing to do is swap one of the front wheels to the rear, and see if the wobble is still there.

Assuming that it's a bent axle and also that the diff assembly needs to be replaced, how many hours of labor are we talking?

Together with both parts, around 3 hours labor
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
Thank you for the bonus, much appreciated....