Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Sorento SX: Hi I have a 2013 Kia Sorento and am the 2nd…

Hi I have a 2013...

Hi I have a 2013 Kia Sorento and am the 2nd owner. At times, the ECO will not come on at all even after the engine is warm and driven over 20 miles. Happens about 30% of the time on cold starts. If I pull over, turn off the car and restart it, then the ECO light comes on. Today, I was backing into the garage after a trip of the ECO light not coming on. It was more of a jerk going from neutral to reverse and / or back to drive. I did it a couple times with same jerking motion. I turned off the car and did it all again and the transmission did not jerk. I believe there is something wrong with the ECO system not monitoring correctly affecting the vehicle. Dealer says it's only a light before but I noticed and then jerking today. I contacted previous owner and it was one of the reasons the got rid of it. They hated the vehicle. Please let me know. Webcam says if light does not come on have dealer check for service issues....  Also does the transmission act differently when the ECO is turned on?  I believe it does but the dealer says only tells you when you are driving economically.  I feel differences in the way the tranny shifts when the ECO is on vs. when it's not.

1/31/2014
Kia Mechanic: FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE replied 8 years ago
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
I'm ready to answer your KIA questions right now.
I am the shop Foreman, and a major Kia dealer, and have about 15 years experience solely on KIA.
Ok a few things on the Eco light first.... Yes this is just a light, that comes on when you are driving at optimal ranges, that give you the best fuel economy, and nothing more. ( per technical training classes on this system ) it's a teaching tool for drivers. The light itself does not effect any other system, and there is no Eco system on the car.
But..... There are times this light will not come on, one is if there is a problem within the engine, or transmission.
And with the hard or erratic shifting you described, I would say, that is the reason the light would not come on.
Now this would be just a guess, since I do not have the vehicle here to run diagnostic tests on, but I have seen quite a few transmission fluid temp sensors causing a lot of erratic shifting and harsh shifts from park to drive, neutral to drive, neutral to reverse and so on.
If the vehicle is still under warranty, ( under 60,000 miles ) since you are the second owner. I would not bring up the Eco light to the dealer, but stress the fact that the transmission has a lot of harsh shifts, or slams into gear. And stress that you would like them to create a tech line case, so you do not have to bring the car back for repeat repair attempts.
Be patient with the dealer and the service team, if this is the first repair attempt on your shifting issue, they may not be allowed to create a tech line case just yet, if they do not feel the shifting issue, and Kia suggests that on first repair attempts for shifting issues, that the technician perform a adaptive relearn, to the transmission. If a mechanical or electrical error is not found on initial inspection, of a shifting issue, a relearn, may be all that is needed.

I hope this has answered your questions about this issue.
Thank you
FLATRATE572

Please rate the quality, helpfulness, and overall response of my answers, and feel free to reply
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE

Just one more question. Why do I feel faster shifting of the transmission when starting out when the ECO light is on verses when it is not. Is that my imagination? I have notice this many times especially when the ECO light does not come on and I pull over and restart the engine and notice that it shifts faster immediately after the restart (and the ECO light returning on the dash).

I'm sorry I gave you bad information, for some reason I thought you had, a SORENTO EX model. Not the SX with active Eco.

Below is some direct information about your Eco system.

ECO lights are changing. Most of our vehicles are equipped with a ECOMINDERTM, which is considered a Passive system. In this system, the ECO light illuminates when the driver is operating the vehicle in a way that conserve fuel. The ECO light will illuminate when the driver is easy on the throttle and the light would go out when the driver is heavy on the throttle.
With the Active type ECO system, the driver turns on the system with a switch mounted on the steering wheel. When the switch is on, the ECO indicator will illuminate on the cluster and some of the vehicle systems will control functions to conserve fuel. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will modify the fuel and spark to help with economy. The PCM also changes the transmission shifting slightly. The other system to modify its function is the Fully Automatic Temperature Control (FATC) air conditioning system. The FATC will modify temperature setting just a bit to help improve fuel efficiency. The adjustments to the engine, transmission and air conditioning are minor and the driver may not notice much difference.
The system will not remain in ECO mode when the engine temperature is low, driving up hill, during heavy acceleration or when using Sport Mode, but the ECO lamp will remain illuminated.

Thanks again... I will rate you before you answer this as I forgot to check back. So with my SX you are saying it is PASSIVE, and the light is an idiot light and my "quick shifting" I feel has nothing to do whether the light comes on or not? BotXXXXX XXXXXne question with the rough shifting and the fact that the light does not come on occasionally do I have a problem that I need to get looked at and if so, what do I explain so I get their correct attention? I bought it with 19,000 miles...it now has 23,500. I complained about it and the previous owner did too...enough that they bought it back from her and sold her a 2014.

No.... What you have on the SX is active Eco, which does adjust the shift feel and other components for better fuel economy.
I did not realize you had a SORENTO SX.

Thanks and sorry for my confusion too... since I now know what I thought to be true that it does make a difference when ECO is or is not selected I have an issue to bring up with the jerking in gear too. I knew when I restarted the car and the ECO came on it felt the quicker shifting. There may already be a tech line case open from the previous owner..just not from me. Thanks again for your help.