Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Forte5 SX Luxe: I have a Kia forte5 SX delux 2012 with…

I have a Kia forte5...
I have a Kia forte5 SX delux 2012 with GPS etc. The gackground lighting of the radio dim down (very hard to read) once a while. Since it has been changed because the set-up freezed. The the lighting problem came back. 2. Now the sound of the radio is off once a while but le CD is ok.
1/27/2014
Kia Mechanic: FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE replied 8 years ago
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
I'm ready to answer your KIA questions right now.

there are a few different possible causes for this issue that we have seen.
first is since you have the premium package, there could be a issue with the sensor that causes the lighting to change for day and night time driving... to see if you get the same effect, during the day with the car in direct sunlight, place a towel or something thick over the sensor in the center of the dash.... when the lighting changes, take note if this is the same thing you are experiencing.
also make sure nothing is covering that sensor during driving, or you may get erratic operation of the interior lighting.

the other possible cause is the radio may be needing a software upgrade, that was just released not to long ago, that fixes a few bugs in the audio and nav displays.

the 3rd possible cause is that you for some reason just have another faulty audio unit.

I have seen a few faulty light sensors over the last few years, on the forte, but not to many...I have seen the software upgrade, fix a few problems, but have not had a customer with a display problem get the audio update, yet.
and i have seen quite a few audio units bad, over the last few years.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you on this issue.

Thank you
FLATRATE572

Please rate my overall response, my helpfulness, and detail, of my answer. thank you
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE