Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Sedona EX: Hi,I have a 2004 Sedona, will not start.

Hi, I have a 2004 Sedona...

I have a 2004 Sedona, will not start. We just changed the fuel pump assembly, spark plugs and full oil change. Will not start. We are in Toronto Canada and it is very cold here.....the codes we have are as follows. P0431, P0335, P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306.......

Thank you,
Gela
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2014
Kia Mechanic: FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE replied 8 years ago
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE
I'm ready to answer your KIA questions right now.
Let's go over the codes you have first.
P0431- is a catalytic converter bank 2 low efficiency code
P0335- is a crankshaft position sensor malfunction code
P0300- random multiple misfire code
P0302,304,& 306- are misfire codes for cylinders 2,4,& 6. All on bank 2 of the engine.
Now there are a few common issues with all of these codes, but when all these codes are together, it usually means One thing....... The timing belt has either broke or jumped time (slipped on the timing gear).
Or the other possible cause is that the crankshaft sensor is just faulty, but that will not usually come with the misfire codes on only one side..
As a KIA tech that has seen this many times over the years, my recommendations, is to inspect and replace the timing belt, belt tensioner, and the crankshaft sensor.

On a scale of 1-10 of difficulty on this job, I would give it a 7, as I have seen many people try to do this job, only to have it towed in for us to fix.

If you need any further help on this issue please ask.
Thank You
FLATRATE572

Please rate my helpfulness, the quality of my answer and the overall responsiveness to your question, thank you

The next question is this, to just check on the timing belt to see if has come loose, or is broken, where is it located? Another tech on here had offered the timing marks? Are you able to do the same.

I know it is not the crankshaft sensor as I had that replaced recently.

Thanks again

The crankshaft sensor is located behind the timing belt right above the crank pulley and it is about the same amount of work to replace the sensor. Was the timing belt replaced when the sensor was replaced?
I will post pictures of the timing marks as soon as I get to my PC, I cannot post pictures from my iPad should be about 10 minutes

Thank you. No, the timing belt was not replaced. :(

I appreciate your help

Here are 2 images that show the breakdown of the timing belt and system, and the timing marks.

also while inspecting the timing, please inspect the sensing blade that the crank sensor reads, i have seen a few of these come loose from the crankshaft sproket.

sedona timing

sedona timng2

I am not able to open the pictures you sent. When you have the time could you email them to me? gelav at hot mail

Thank you so much for your help.....

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

i dont believe i am allowed to email you directly, i reposted the images in a different format, let me know if these work for you

sadly they did not work either... :( I am sorry.....

Ok I did find some that were in png forrmat that I will post now.....sorry for the problems

graphic

graphic

graphic

wooohoooooo! Thank you!! :)

Just let me know if there is anything else you need

You will be able to continue this chat even after rating this expert.

thank you! I will....I printed them off, once I have a chance to look at home I will for sure.

Let me know what you find
FlatRate572
FlatRate572, KIA MASTER ELITE

We replaced the crank sensor and it had oil all over it, we triple checked the timing marks, and there is good fuel pressure. compression test on cylinders 2, 4, and 6 and they had 150 psi , and all front three are sparking. It barely fires up, and then when you give it gas it stumbles, falls, and is sputtery. The timing belt looks original, but not in bad shape.

I think I might have missed a important question, was the engine running before you replaced the fuel pump and did the other work to it?

Hi!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was not near my PC.

Here is how everything happened.

My son was driving the car, they has just gassed up the car. When driving the van lost power, pressed gas and nothing happened, they pulled over and it died. It would not turn all the way over, like there was no gas getting to the engine. We got the van home. My brother-in-law said it sounded like the fuel pump, at this point we had not hooked up the reader as it was lent out. He changed the fuel pump, while also changed all the spark plugs, as well as the oil change. IT would turn over, but then act as if there was no gas. the codes then were checked and that is the codes I gave you originally. Since then, the timing system was looked at, belt is original but not broken, the crankshaft sensor has been replaced. the timing marks are good, as well as the fuel pressure.

I hope this helps you to help me :)

Ok I would like you to take a fuel sample, to see if there is water or something in the fuel.
Disconnect the fuel line at the engine or the fuel rail, use a hose or whatever you have to do, and fill a clean, clear glass bottle. Let that sit for about 20 minutes and see if there is anything in the fuel.

Hi.....

I have a question for you. Would having accidentally putting diesel into the engine have done all this? When this all started is asked my son if he had put diesel in by accident, and I said he didn't think so? We had drained the tank right away before doing all we had done all the work described before but it would have been so little diesel added to an almost full tank of gas. So we couldn't tell. I will get them to check the fuel that's in there now. But I think it's almost empty.

Sorry for the delay in the response, I have been in KIA training for the last few days.
Yes it is possible that deisle fuel could cause this problem. You may have drained the fuel tank, but the fuel lines and injector rails can hold deisle fuel and the oil in deisle fuel, for quite a while, and cause the conditions you have described.if you suspect fuel contamination, I would suggest removing the fuel pump from the tank, and try to remove all fuel from the tank and clean and dry the inside of the tank the best you can, disconnect all fuel lines, and flush them out with a can of fast delving brake cleaner and then compressed air to blow the lines out..... Same with the injector rail, remove the fuel line to the injector rail, then use a fast disapating/ evaporating cleaner, then use compressed air to blow out the remaining cleaner.