Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia Sedona: Hi...I have a whining sound in my car. It is the

Hi...I have a whining sound...
Hi...I have a whining sound in my car. It is the same sound when I am parked and when I drive. Sometimes it gets louder when I accelerate and right before I shift.
8/14/2013
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Is the noise coming from inside of the car?If so is it coming from near the gear shift?

Hi...forgive me but I am not sure what you mean by gear shift. I have an automatic transmission, and the sound does not appear to be coming from there. I can actually hear it if I put my ear up to the front right tire.

Ok the noise that you are hearing is a belt noise. This noise in particular is most likely coming from the power steering pump. This can mean either the pump is low on fluid or is starting to internally fail.

Oh okay...I was very nervous it would be transmission. Is this a fairly costly procedure if I need a new pump?

The repair runs about $300 and that's for parts and labor. Now of course still have the vehicle checked out before any repairs are made but from your description this is the noise you are hearing. Thank you.
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic