George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

Kia Optima LX: Removing the alternator from a 2002 Kia Optima,

Customer Question

Removing the alternator from a 2002 Kia Optima, 2.7l V6.

I have the alternator unbolted from the car, and ready to come out. I just don't have to room to bring it out of the wheel well. I've removed the axle from the wheel hub, taken out the upper motor mount, and no matter how I position the alternator, it just won't come out of that space.

If I were to remove the axle from the center shaft piece I think it'll come out. But I can't see or find the pry point. Any help would be great.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Place the pulley of the alternator facing down and jack the engine up a little by the oil pan and the alternator should come out the bottom behind the axle but if you remove the axle use a bar and a large hammer to strike the housing of the center joint sharply and it will separate. I usually remove the three bolts from the center support to the engine block (top bolt is tough though) and slide the while axle out of the transmission then you have plenty of room.

Please let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi George,

Thank you for the help so far. I have tried to remove the alternator from the bottom, with the axle still in, but I just can't see an exit point.

Also, what part should I be striking on the center shaft? I've attached a couple pics if that will help. Thanks again!

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The shell of the joint is where you strike. Use a bar about 1 foot long against the shell and strike the bar with a 3 lb hammer. Two or three blows should free the axle. The diagram of the shaft is below

Click here for diagram

Then brass looking ring on the center bearing is a dust cap and will bend if you pry or hit so keep your pressure away from those.

You picture shows a lot of oil on the alternator and that is likely why it is failed.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you