Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Kia Sorento EX: I bought 2 new tires for my AWD 04 kia sorento.

I bought 2 new tires...
I bought 2 new tires for my AWD 04 kia sorento. A few months after getting 2 of those tires my car was difficult to turn, the tires were binding, and popping out of gear. come to fine out my car was stuck in 4Hi. multiple sensors were bad as well as a relay wire. the parts that were replaced were motor assy, electronic t/f contr, sensor-f, sensor rear. i picked my car up on fri and the tires are still binding and it's difficult to turn, it also shakes at higher speeds which it didn't do before all this. and before all this happened my car was not leaking any fluids. it is now leaking coolant, my high pressure power steering hose is leaking and my power steering pump could be damaged. could all the bad sensors and stuff caused the issue with the power steering stuff? they took almost 4 months to figure out what was wrong with my car! but the kia technician didn't mention that all the stuff that they had to fix could've caused the issue with the steering pump etc.
1/29/2013
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Ok was this vehicle ever involved in an accident?
Not that Im aware of. The original owner worked for kia and took good care of it. There were a few minor scratches on the car but that's it.
Do you know the codes that were stored for the original problems?

i don't know the original codes but the paper i was given from the dealership says found 8 active trouble codes in 4wheel drive control mod. had no 4x4 function. no lights on dash, no flash codes, checked throttle position sensor, found out of range. adjusted to specs. installed known good control module. now have indicator lights and flashing codes. substituted shift motor. now have shift ability to 4x4 low and back. tested front and rear drive shaft speed sensors, found out of range. front open. no pulse indication. replaced speed sensors. voltage and ohm tested circuits from control to transfer case connectors. have 5 volt reference and grounds per wiring diagram. removed and inspected transfer case for internal damage. checked sensor tone rings. reinstalled transfer case. tested electronic magnetic clutch for damage and short to ground. at this time all codes except p1734 electronic clutch taken care of. rechecked wiring. found pin a3 to h15 picking up 4.38 volts. traced. substituted wire with jumper. power eliminated to clutch. road tested at this time added over lay wire instead of opening chassis wiring harness. reassembled all panels removed for access. Note battery goes dead often. slow to crank. has power steering leak and coolant leak.

the main reason i'm asking is because the place where i got the 2 new tires paid for the whole mess. so if the power steering issue is related i want them to pay for it too. my car was fine before this whole fiasco. i've read that the sensors can mess up the variable effort steering system which can affect the power steering pump and hoses.

I guarantee when they did these repairs and checked the transfer case they damaged the power steering and should be liable for this repair.So yes the harness alone can affect the variable steering system as well as that wire overlay.So the answer is yes.If you need any further assistance please let me know I would be more then happy to help.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.

the kia dealership did the repairs on my car. and my car was hard to steer and binding when all of this happened. are you saying the kia dealership messed up the steering or the original problems with the sensors and clutch messed up the power steering? what happened was the service rep told me that since the high pressure power steering hose was leaking and there might not have been enough fluid in the pump and that's what's causing the issue. i had this issue when i took the car in so i'm just getting the run around. im afraid he will tell me that it has nothing to do with all the stuff that was wrong with my car and the tire place won't pay for the repairs.

He is giving you the run around and they should have fixed this regardless before giving you back the vehicle.They were right in the area that they say the issue is.It will be hard to prove but since it had all these issues just tell them you are going to contact Kia corperate tell them all the issues with the vehicle and now you have power steering issues.Im sire they will help you or at least split it them 70 you 30 for the repair.These are the next steps.If you need further assistance please let me know.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.

im not sure you're understanding. the reason i took my car in was because the tires were binding, the car was hard to steer and the gears were popping. which i was told was caused by having the different tires. the steering problems occurred right when the popping of the gears started. so my question is did all the sensor stuff, clutch, relay wire and being stuck in 4hi cause the power steering pump/ hose to not work right.

Yes the previous work was the start of the cause of this issue and just got worse over time.Will it they admit to that its the cause absolutely not but since you had so many issues with this vehicle and its documented they should cover this repair.If you need any further assistance please let me know I will be more then happy to assist you in any way needed.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.

there was no previous work when the steering issues started!

It was the same time as the other issues correct?

yes, i bought 2 tires in may and all the issues started at the same time in sept, the gears popping, the tires binding and the difficulty steering/turning. i just got my car back on friday. i noticed the steering was still doing the same thing when i drove it to work that day.

Ok so it's all to do with the original issue all happend at once. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here of you need any further assistance.

yes it's all related. but want to know if the sensors etc could have caused the problem with the power steering hose and pump.

Yes it could have affects the pump which could of damaged the hose. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. If you need any further assistance please let me know.
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician

when i attempt to rate you it sends me to a page that says access denied so not sure if it's saving it

Yes it went through thanks. Again I'm here if you NEED any further assistance.

thanks. im still waiting to hear back from the Kia dealership to see if they think it was caused by the issues. i figured if they thought it was they would've fixed it when it was there for 3 months. Because there were so many issues i definitely think it was related. my car was not leaking prior to the night when all of this stuff happened. it worked great.

Agreed and they should do the right thing and fix this for you. Keep me posted.
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician