Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Kia Sportage: I have a 2002 kia sportage and it does not warm

I have a 2002 kia sportage and it does not warm up. The tempture guage moves sometimes when i'm driving. I also don't get any heat. I replaced the thermostat. Any suggestions what to try.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. There was a midyear production change on this vehicle so depending on when in the year it was made the thermostat is different. The thermostat housing also has some problems on these vehicles which can make it act as if the thermostat is stuck open. So at this point I would replace the thermostat with one from dealership so they can look it up according to vin and determine which one you need. If that doesnt help then replace the thermostat housing also. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I will give that a try. Do you think that will also resolve my issue with no heat.

Yes, it will resolve the no heat issue also. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you run into problems. Thanks again and have a great evening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I replaced the thermostat and housing it seem to resolve my problem with the gauge but I still don't have any heat any other suggestions.

You may have a air bubble in the heater core or a clogged ehater core. You can remove the hoses going to the heater core and use a garden hose to flush it out from both directions. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I will give that a try. Will running water through the heater core get rid of air bubbles?

Running water through heater core will get rid of air bubbles. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I gave that a try and I think that did the trick. I'm feeling heat, thanks for the help.