Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kia Sorento 2011 wont start with smart key

9/30/2012
Kia Mechanic: gunny44, Kia Master Technician replied 9 years ago
gunny44
gunny44, Kia Master Technician
gunny44
gunny44, Kia Master Technician

This problem is intermittent. It has happened three times in last year. Each time I got it started after several attempts. It is frustrating. After the first time I took it to my Kia dealer. He replaced the car battery. It hasn't recurred for about a year The next time was two days ago. Then again yesterday. When we go out we have been leaving the car running rather than chance a recurrence. I will not know if you have solved the problem until the problem recurs. However, I am having a hard time believing it is the brake switch. Is it because the system is not detecting that I am pressing the brake? I will check with my Kia dealer tomorrow.

The brake switches stick and/or internal contact problems. These switches have multi functions. I have seen this many times. Believe it or not, that is your option.

My Kia dealer confirms your assessment that it is probably the brake switch so I will get it replaced. For your information we were told that there is an override - without pressing the brake hold the start button for 10 seconds and it will start. I assume you didn't know about this as you didn't tell me. I haven't had the need to try it but I will. However, I am happy with your answer and will pay the $18.

I had heard about the 10 seconds but never had occasion to try it and didn't want to mislead you since I wasn't sure it would over-ride the brake switch.

Did you ever get the brake light switch replaced? Should have been a free service.

Yes I got it replaced free of charge. Also I had the opportunity to try the 10 second override and it worked - but it took a little longer than 10 seconds, maybe 20 seconds. The mechanic where I had the swith replaced said it takes ar least 10 seconds. This should be in the manual but it isn't.

Thank you for the input. I am going for a 5 day Kia training session in a few weeks and I know the instrutors well along with the district rep. I will bring this up and see what they say.

By manuel do you mean owner's manuel? or a shop manuel?

Owner's manual. At least KIA should send notification to all owners of smart key about the override - could save them from being stranded.

Thanks for your help!