Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

2001 Kia Sportage EX: 4x4..acts..transmission is slipping..in reverse.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Kia Sportage EX 4x4. It starts up but acts like the transmission is slipping in drive. It will go in reverse. Speedometer don't work and odometer does not light up, check engine light don't light up. Also will not go in 4wheel drive I changed the Auto trans speed sensor nd the sensor with a gear on the end of it that goes in the left hand side of transfer case and still no go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 5 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes need more information
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 5 years ago.
Sounds internal . What's the code stored for the engine light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how would I know?
If you go to any auto zone, advanced auto , Aamco or Meineke they will scan the vehicle for free . Once we have the code stored for this issue it will help pinpoint the exact issue to see if it's electrical or mechanical.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cannot drive it
Ok you can get a hand held scanner for about 20 dollars at any auto parts store to get the code . We need the codes to pinpoint the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
waiting to get scanner
Ok keep me posted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
finally got scanner code P1614 came up
The code is p1614 MIL Request circuit high voltage
You most likely have a bad voltage regulator in your alternator causing it to overcharge. This is a common problem in these vehicles. You will want to repair it as soon as possible. first check your alternator by using a volt meter across the battery terminals with the vehicle running, If the voltage is any more then 14.9 V DC then you have an alternator that is overcharging. Usually these alternators will charge between 16-18 volts and can damage modules or blow your headlights out, It can also melt wiring. After you check the voltage, shut the vehicle off and replace the alternator, I do not recommend driving the vehicle in this condition.These are the next steps .Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated. Have a safe and Happy Holiday!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi again. Have changed transmission speed sensor and just put in new alternater, still no change. CodeP0650 Mil control circuit malfunction Mods 17 2/2. Any ideas ?
Sure that's the code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is what my husband wrote down he will be home around 4. I'll ask him
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't know if I mentioned that the Kia runs good in reverse
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thats the code.
Ok where did he get the code what scanner was used?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what does it matter ?
That's not a good code to show a fault.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry. it's 16 days and 300.00 bucks and no closer to being solved......have an appointment with a garage....thanks
Not a problem. It has to be a ground issue or faulty battery terminal or bad ECM . Best of luck.