Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

A/c not cooling after 3 compressors ,both expansion valves…

a/c not cooling after 3...

a/c not cooling after 3 compressors ,both expansion valves replaced, lines were flushed, no go. high side pressure 325-425 low side 45-50 vacaum system for 35 min. there is a high pressure blow off valve that blows off pressure ? not sure why it does that ; it is not overcharged holds 2 lbs 3 ozs.

still waiting for answer...

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2011
gunny44
gunny44, Kia Master Technician
i think it is a sodina it is a van 1998 6 cyl.
I would like to help you but I don't know what a sodina is. If you are referring to a Sedona I will need the proper year. there were no Sedonas in 1998.
im sorry it's a 2008 sedonas

OK. With these pressures you are telling me the compressor is obviously running. The pressures you show are way too high in both the high side and the low side. Either this system is not charged properly with the right equipment and is overcharged or the ac coolant fan is not coming on. Check the coolant fan, it should come on seconds after the ac is turned on. The reason for the pressure blow off is the system protecting itself from pressures that are way too high. Did you have this professionally charged or are you just adding cans of freon?

Gunny44

the system is being chaged by a a/c machine, and the condensor fan is coming on; i know the pressures are high that is what is stumping 3 a/c tecs. could the freon in our tank be containmented (bad)?>???

Are the coolant fans both running?

Are you sucking 30 inches of vacuum for 20 minutes before charging?

Could also be a bad receiver/dryer contaminated with moisture.

Sorry but sitting here I can only make suggestions but unable to fix a persistent problem.

Your pressures do not indicate a clog as this would set the low side into the vacuum on the gage and the high side way up to 400 plus.

Is the condenser free of debris espec. between the radiator and condenser?

Are these pressures you indicate come on right away or does the ac have to run a while before cold air stops?

Contaminated freon?? doubt it. If the tank were porous to let dampness in the freon would have leaked out and there would be no pressure in the tank. Then again, stranger things have happened.

gunny44
gunny44, Kia Master Technician
we have drawed the system down for 30 minutes each time, and replaced the dryer 1 time that is because when we showed up for work the pressure must have built up in the system overnight and it blew the line off to the dryer snapping the stud off in which was tight ; the dryer was very hot earlier at 4;00 and we gave up at 5;00 went home. i was tinking maybe a clogged condensor??? because of the pressures, i have been doing a/c work on all cars& trucks for over 20 years never nothing like this van has us by the balls, never the less an unhappy customer now. i will check both fans in the morning for operation, and yes no debris is between the ran or radiator.

I do thank you for the accept and bonus. I will kick this around tomorrow at work with some other guys. If i come up with anything I will surely post it here.

Thanx again. Gunny44

Keep in mind that both fans will run slowly so don't let this cause you to think it is the problem. Burned me once.

If the fans are not running there have also been issues with the fan module going bad. Check your fuses and relays first before replacing this module if the fans do not work or work intermittently.

Reading your last post, the ac pressures are building up overnight without the engine running or the ac on???? This don't make sense. If this is the case I wonder if the freon tank has other than 134a in it. Never seen that before... Tell me I read this wrong!!!

hi gunny44, you were right on the bullseye, i found that the condersor fan was not working, that the condersor fan (relay) quit working and that it shorted the condensor fan plug to where it was melted, i was able to fix that , put in a (new) relay and wala!!! system restored works fine !! thank you for your help master !! weedhopper joe :0

Thanx for sharing that with me Joe. Glad it worked for you and glad I was of assistance. Stay cool now.

Any future problems give me a shot at them.

Thanx again for sharing the info.

Regards. Gunny44

gunny44
gunny44
gunny44, Kia Master Technician