Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2006 kia spectra: knocking..parts store..#4 cylinder is miss firing

Customer Question
2006 kia spectra it is...
2006 kia spectra it is making a knocking or a valve train noise. when it starts skipping it doesnt do it. local parts store says #4 cylinder is miss firing what does that mean
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Kia
5/15/2011
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 6 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Hi there! This means there is not any spark or fire on cylinder #4.
Many times this can be due to a bad plug wire or coil.
Sometimes, you can try spraying some water on the engine when it is running and look for sparks coming off the coil or wire. If you see spark arcing, this indicates a bad ignition part and it will have to be changed.
This is where I would start.
i have already changed plugs and local store says if my coil was bad it wouldn't work at all
Well, if you have a #4 misfire, the coil could be failing or the wire.
This needs to be tested. The coil can leak spark on #4 and not be putting it to the plug.
The coil can still be working and have this problem. Happens all the time. No offense but the guy at the parts store is not a mechanic. He is a parts person.
If you try the test and there is no spark leaking then it may be something else. I am not there to work on the car so you have to try the diagnostic steps I provide. You don't want to just throw parts at it and hope for the best. This can get expensive.
would that cause the knocking sound and to skip
It will cause a skip. The sound may be the spark arcing, not always a knocking sound,sometimes more like a snapping sound. If this is electrical, and you spray the water on the coil and the wires, you may here the noise.
This takes diagnostic steps to determine the problem. This is step one of many. Sometimes step one is all it takes, sometimes more.
This is the starting point.
it is still under warranty they want to charge me to diagnose the problem. i don't think my warranty will cover any water damaged caused by the water hose.
They are going to run the same test. If it is under warranty, how can they charge you?
If you don't want to try and diagnose the car, that is fine, just let me know and I will opt out and you can take it in. The choice is yours of course.
i will opt out . my local dealer is the only one in my area, so they have the monopoly on what they will and won't do.
Well, good luck to you with this!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician