Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

My 2006 Kia Rio has a check eng. code P0456 (EVAP leak - very small). When I fill up with

My 2006 Kia Rio has a check eng. code P0456 (EVAP leak - very small). When I fill up with gas the car has a very hard time starting immediately after. It seems to not be getting any fuel. If I push the pedal all the way to the floor it starts, and will die unless I give it gas. Once I start driving it goes away. It also has mild issues while idling (not necessarily right after fueling), where it seems to misfire or choke a little bit. It isn't bad enough to kill, but just seems to be misfiring. No codes turn on with that.
For the P0456 I've replace the gas cap. I'm assuming there is an issue somewhere in the EVAP system.
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
Hi there! The most common problem is the canister purge valve.
IT sticks open so when you refuel the car, the vapors go into the intake. This actually floods the car and is why you have to hold it to the floor to get it to start.
It is located at the rear of the engine. Here is a diagram of it's location. To access this, you have to remove the duct work to the throttle body to get to it.

graphic