Amedee
Amedee, Kia Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Kia Rio 2002 kia rio will ilde wont rev up engine code p1166

2002 kia rio will ilde wont rev up engine code p1166 p732 p1121 changed tps senser
Hello!

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!
You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
amedee just tried mas senser still will idle but rev up would weak fuel pump let it ilde and not rev. it just bougs down when you hit the thottle
You bet it will!

A weak fuel pump, incorrect ignition or valve timing or even plugged exhaust.

Just be sure the air snorkel is not cracked or ripped.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i checked air snorkel and its ok if i rev it slowly somtimes it will rev if i hold throttle down it bougs but doesn't die. can you access fuel pump from back seat or have to drop tank. i had not thought abought the exhaust yet might disconnect at front converter
I would check fuel pressure first to be sure it is the fuel pump. I can send over instructions on how to replace the fuel pump if you need.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
instructions would help on pump can you tell me what the pressure should be please and thank you for the help
Fuel Line Pressure 46-51 psi (320-350 kPa)

Here is the removal procedure.

Removal
  1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Remove rear seat
  3. Remove fuel pump cover,and then disconnect fuel pump connector.
  4. Remove components in the order shown.