fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

2001 Kia Sephia: Check Engine light..smoothly..overdrive..all gears

Customer Question

2001 Kia Sephia. Check Engine light solid, ODF Light Flashing. Car doesnt shift smoothly, and never gets to overdrive, but does get to 3rd thru all gears eventually.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 6 years ago.

fix it man :

Hello Customer, if the check engine light is on then you need to have the vehicles computer scanned for codes. You can get this done for free at most auto parts stores. Come back here with the codes and I will let you know what is going on. It sounds like either a bad transmission speed sensor or a problem with a clogged catalytic converter.

Customer :

already gave codes. it was po731 and po732

fix it man :

Okay. When you get these two codes it typically means that the internal clutches in the transmission are failing and the transmission will need to be rebuilt. Start by checking the fluid. If the fluid is really dark or smells burnt then the transmission is failing. If the fluid is fine then it may be a bad speed sensor on the transmission.

Customer :

Does the fact that this seems to have "come out of the blue" and is continious make you lean one way or the other. In this I mean it was displaying no previous transmission symtoms before (no sporadic issues or warning lights), and the problem (and symtoms) are continious. The Tranny never seems to act normally and the failure that is causing this seems instantanious and total.

fix it man :

Yes, that still helps me lean towards the parts that I mentioned to you.